Wednesday, November 1

Work in Progress



Thanks to a friend, who challenged me to use my talents, I am working on a portrait for Face.Africa. Above are a few of my interpretations of Stacy a young orphan girl from Kenya. What a lofty idea...that I (a girl from Missouri) am going to creat an image of Stacy from a simple photo. This image, that she will eventually receive as her own, will first be her face here in the United States as this project grows/tours to educate and inspire American thoughts towards Africa. My work is to give a face to an orphan millions of miles away. I can't and won't do it justice, but will try my hardest.

As I have taken on this challenge I have realized a lot about myself and how I, too, am a work in progress. My insecurities are what would of held me back from taking on this task without the prompting of a friend. My fear that I am not good enough, not talented enough, not creative enough. Fears that others would be better, that I'm not an artist, that I haven't been trained. It's all nonsense, I know...but real. I was thinking yesterday about all the things that I want to do, all my lofty ideas and wondered what was holding me back. It boiled down to one main thing...fear of criticism/rejection/failure.

Today as I worked on my project at Broadway Cafe I was approached by my new friend Bill, a partially toothed man in threadbare, tattered clothes. He said to me "are you an artist?" I hestitated and responded with some sort of "I'm a nurse by profession, but enjoy art." Unable to claim myself as an artist for fear that I didn't live up to the name, I asked Bill if he did art. He responded proudly, "I am an artist." Claiming boldly the name that I hestitated to place on myself out of insecurity, was the man with nothing earthly to show for it. The irony struck me hard.

The whole of this reminded of a passage I read yesterday while relaxing with my new friend Anne Lamott and her book Traveling Mercies (see my last blog for the links) her raw honesty sums it up well:

We totally bombed. No wait, this is not actually the truth: I bombed. Grace was fine. Everyone agreed later that Grace was fine...If you are what you do - and I think my parents may have accidentally given me this idea - and you do poorly, what then? It's over; you're wiped out. All those prophecies you heard in the dark have come true, and people can see the real you, see what a schmendrick you are, what a fraud. Alone in my hotel room later that night, I felt stricken and lurky and dark...Out of nowhere I remembered something one of my priest friends had said once, that grace is having a commitment to - or at least an acceptance of - being ineffective and foolish. That our bottled charm is the main roadblock to drinking that clear cool glass of love.

Ahhh! So let the work continue...I AM an artist...drink up!

5 comments:

Ally said...

You ARE an artist. That's one of the first things I remembered about meeting you.

I'm so proud of you.

little jeter said...

Yes, but don't forget at our first meeting you were under the assumption that Kelly Jacksons photography was mine. :)

Esue said...

Magnifique. Really. Tell me why you did this piece the way you did...aka, give me a sneak peak at the artist statement! :)

honestcabe said...

I can't imagine anything more fun.. The best coffee in the city, Anne Lamott, and good conversation. When you are Lamotted out, try Luci Shaw~God In The Dark
Randomly I was reading Blue Like Jazz, at the same time you were blogging about it..

Reverend GLO said...

Jeter!

You ARE an artist! I love your blog! It was great talking to you tonight. Have fun at work.

peace,
greg